Sunday 9 May 2010

May9 Route 12 to Bryce Canyon



It is Mother's Day so I made Karen some poached eggs with toast for breakfast before we hit the road south to Bryce Canyon, about 120 miles.

The first 1/3 is all climbing . The summit is 9500 ft. The poor truck got a workout.
It was neat to see the white birch forests, something we don't have on the Island.

At Boulder we stopped at the Anasazi Historical site. An ancient community was unearthed here. Many of their dwellings were mostly underground to keep warm in winter and cool in summer.

From there we climbed again into the Grand Staircase- Escalante park.

One 2 mile section of highway is called the Hogs Back. The 2 lane road drops off several hundred feet on both sides with only a narrow shoulder seperating you from the drop . Karen was nervous, everytime I stopped at a wide spot for a picture she made sure I left the keys behind in case I went over the edge. She wasn't worried about me, only wanted to make sure she had a way home!

We stopped for lunch at a viewpoint then arrived at our campground about 2pm. It's a KOA about 12 miles from Bryce Canyon. we had hoped it would have tv service but it doesn't. Would have liked to see the Amazing Race finale. I guess I'll have to download it.

.
I'm making Karen's favourite dinner tonight , curried shrimp with rice and papadums.
Tomorrow we will explore Bryce then head south again for Zion National Park. It's the last of the parks on our list. After that we will begin making our way home, probably via Las Vegas and CaliforniaPosted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment