Saturday 19 January 2013

Kapalua and Kaanapali

We made the 30 minute drive up to Kaanapali and Kapalua today with 2 objectives.
One was to snorkel at Kapalua Bay or Black Rock at Kaanapali but the winds are too high and surf and snorkeling don't go well together.
It's a little cooler today too, about 78, but the sun is shining!
Karen also wanted to try out the Star Noodle House in Lahaina. We had success with that.
The head chef was a contestant on one of those Top Chef shows . Not sure if he won but the food was good and reasonably priced. We paid about $25 for lunch for us both.

On the way to lunch we had an incident with a local in Lahaina .
I was stopped in a line of cars in a left turn lane at a busy intersection waiting for the car in front to move when all of a sudden the guy behind me honks like he wants me to move,then bumps my rear bumper.
He's a young guy in a beat up pickup..
I get out to see what is going on and he gets out and says I backed into him!
I'm in an automatic with it in drive and my foot on the brake waiting to move ahead, I tell him , how could I back up without shifting into reverse and why would I do that?
He calls me an f'ing dumbass .
I see there is no damage and decide not to argue anymore, this is the U.S.A after all and that would probably justify shooting a Haole!
Anyway, no harm done but it did get the heart rate up!

After lunch we drove into Kahalui, the Capitol and biggest city, to finish up any souvenir shopping.
We want to spend the rest of our stay near the beach.

Here's a couple of pictures of some of the different vegetation here.
They have huge cacti, the leeward side of the island is mostly desert and the large red plant is a natural poinsettia . They grow here like our rhododendrons.




No comments:

Post a Comment